More young Brazilians now appear to be seriously ill and dying from Covid-19, doctors say, amid a national increase in daily deaths and cases that are increasing global numbers as well.
Nearly a dozen ICU doctors and nurses since mid-January in various hospitals in Brazil say their ICU beds are occupied by more young people than ever before.
“We have healthy patients between the ages of 30 and 50, and that is the profile of most patients,” said Dr. Pedro Archer, a 33-year-old intensive care physician at a public hospital in Rio de Janeiro. “That is the big difference in this latest wave.”
“The death for a person in their 30s is very, very painful,” said Dr. Maria Dolores da Silva, a 42-year veteran of intensive care in São Paulo. “They have their whole lives ahead of them and Covid takes that.”
YOU ASKED. WE ANSWER.
Q. Many parents are being vaccinated, but their children still cannot. Can grandparents visit if children are not vaccinated?
ONE. Vaccinating parents is very important. This reduces your own chance of illness, as well as your likelihood of transmitting the coronavirus to others, including your children, says Dr. Leana Wen. It also makes visits by other family members safer.
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TODAY
AstraZeneca reviews effectiveness data
Vaccine nationalism to be focus of EU summit
European Union leaders will meet at a virtual summit today to define plans to control vaccine exports, in an ongoing dispute with the United Kingdom over the supply of doses, especially for AstraZeneca.
The EU is struggling to get enough doses to implement effective inoculation programs, but other countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, have also largely maintained doses made in their own countries. The President of the United States, Joe Biden, is expected to attend the meeting, at the invitation of the EU.
Boris Johnson’s latest gaffe could threaten vaccine launches in Britain
The prime minister of the United Kingdom, prone to gaffe, has made frantic attempts to counter his comments that the successful launch of the vaccine in his country was “because of capitalism, because of greed, my friends”.
India detects new ‘double mutant’ variant
A “double mutant” variant is a strain that carries two mutations. India made the discovery as infections grew there, heightening fears of a second wave.
ON OUR RADAR
- Covid-19’s second wave hit Africa much more strongly than the first, a new analysis showed.
- British TV anchor Kate Garraway talks about her husband’s distressing ordeal with Covid-19, which has left him hospitalized since last March.
- The Covid-19 pandemic changed our sense of mortality. “That vague inevitability that I assumed would happen in the distant future crushed me in the head like an anvil in an old cartoon,” writes Allison Hope
- Dr. Anosh Ahmed of Loretto Hospital resigned after discovering that the hospital was improperly distributing the Covid-19 vaccine at Trump Tower in downtown Chicago.
- Seven out of 10 people hospitalized by Covid-19 have not yet fully recovered five months after discharge, a study concluded.
If you have been eating more and gaining weight during the pandemic, you are not alone. Recent research has shown that some people may have gained more than 1.5 pounds on average per month during Covid-19 blocks in March and April last year.
“Health experts repeatedly say: the problem is what you do when you get there, regardless of … the way you are traveling.” – CNN correspondent, Pete Muntean