Written by Bolaji Ogundele, Abuja
President Muhammadu Buhari reaffirmed his administration’s determination to realize its plan to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty, saying it was conceived out of intentional intentions.
The president confirmed this on Tuesday during a meeting with the Presidential Economic Advisory Council (PEAC) at the State House in Abuja.
According to his senior special assistant for media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the president said the project “did not come by chance or” something we just ran into “, but a deliberate project that will be carried out with extraordinary tenacity and determination.
Speaking at the meeting, which was attended by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Bukhari agreed with the Council that the country needs a poverty reduction strategy that will lead to “rapid, sustainable, sustainable and inclusive economic growth”.
In a brief speech following the presentation of a report on a national poverty reduction strategy developed by the PEAC, Buhari asked the PEAC to present the document to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday as part of the consultation process.
He also agreed with the Council that an ambitious program to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty is challenging, but one that can be achieved.
The president wondered what had happened to the nation in the past, “with all available resources”, that such a coordinated, comprehensive poverty reduction agenda had never been envisaged.
“I was shocked to hear from you that of the huge resources of agricultural land available to the nation, only two percent are under irrigation, promising that we will make the best use of the land.” Thanks for shaking us up. Now we woke up; we won’t take a nap anymore. We have not only stumbled upon this, but we believe it is something we can achieve. ”
After hearing the PEAC Chairman, Professor Doyin Salami, who led the presentation, Buhari paved the way for ministers to be briefed on the implementation plan at the FEC meeting on Wednesday, February 24, 2021.
The plan, which Professor Salami said has so far received huge stakeholder approval across the country, was previously presented to the vice president; Secretaries of Government of all 36 states and governors of the National Economic Council (NEC); Development partners, including the World Bank, IMF and AfDB; Civil society organizations (CSOs) and organized private sector actors in the country.
The PEAC chairman welcomed the country’s exit from the recession, but warned that the strength of economic growth must be managed in a way that it will surpass population growth.