The Myanmar ambassador said he was unable to enter the London embassy in a “coup”

Ambassador Kyaw Zwar Minn – who last month broke with his country’s military junta – told CNN that he tried to gain access to the embassy on Wednesday for several hours, but was unable to enter.

Several of his employees were still inside the building and were not allowed to leave, he said.

Telephone calls made to the embassy were not answered and e-mails returned.

The Myanmar military seized power in the country on February 1, overthrowing the elected government of civil leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Since then, non-violent protests against the coup have erupted across the country, and several Myanmar diplomats posted abroad as well. made statements of resistance.

UK ambassador Kyaw Zwar Minn issued a statement last month calling for Suu Kyi’s release from detention and promised to keep the embassy open after a liaison with UK Foreign Minister Dominic Raab.

At the time, Raab said in a tweet that he spoke to the ambassador and “praised his courage and patriotism in defending what is right”.

The military responded by calling him back. “Since he did not behave according to the responsibilities given, an order [is issued] to summon him and transfer him back to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs “, reported MRTV.

A live broadcast from Facebook on Wednesday showed several people showing their support for the Myanmar ambassador to the UK and expressing confusion about the day’s events.

About 50 people also gathered in front of the embassy building in Mayfair, an exclusive part of central London.

London Metropolitan Police officers were also on the scene, warning people to disperse as they were violating coronavirus restrictions.

Most of those who have gathered since then dispersed as the night progressed, but CNN saw at least four police vans full of officers parked near the Myanmar embassy.

The London Metropolitan Police told CNN in a statement: “We are aware of a protest outside the Myanmar embassy in Mayfair, London. Law enforcement officers are present. There were no arrests.”

In a statement to CNN, the United Kingdom’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it was “seeking more information after an incident at the Myanmar embassy in London”.

Myanmar’s military leaders tried in vain to remove another diplomat in March, after the UN ambassador, Kyaw Moe Tun, asked members of the international community to use “all necessary means” to help restore the country’s civilian leadership.

He refused to resign, however, a decision that was supported by the UN.

Myanmar’s military spokesman, Major General Zaw Min Tun, said the junta plans to hold new elections after a year of state of emergency.

Helen Regan contributed to this report.