Prince Philip, the husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to a London hospital, Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Duke of Edinburgh was taken to King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday night, as a “precautionary measure” on the advice of his doctor “after feeling ill,” the statement said.
Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics
Philip, 99, is expected to stay in the hospital for a few days of observation and rest, the statement added.
Along with the queen, Philip received his vaccine against Covid-19 last month. The royal couple is staying at Windsor Castle, a palace about 30 miles west of London, during the pandemic that hit the UK
The country has the worst outbreak in Europe, with more than 4 million cases and 118,000 reported deaths, according to health officials.
Philip, who retired from public office in 2017, is the oldest royal consort in British history.
He married the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947 and together they have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
A former Navy officer and keen polo player, Philip enjoyed robust health until old age, but has had several health problems in recent years.
He was last hospitalized in December 2019, when he spent four nights in the hospital for what the palace said was the planned treatment of a pre-existing condition, although he did not reveal what that condition was.
Philip was also forced to give up driving at 97 after a car accident in January 2019, which left passengers in another vehicle with minor injuries, although he escaped unscathed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.