Obigbo women are forced to wear the same underwear for four months in military custody – inter-society

About 50 women allegedly arrested by the Nigerian military during the Obigbo crisis last year, Rivers State, were forced to wear the same set of underwear for four months in military custody, a civil rights group, the International Society for Civil Liberties and the rule of law, he said. .

The interim noted on Tuesday that there were fears that some ladies, who were recently released after a lengthy legal procedure, could have infections such as sexually transmitted diseases, as some claimed they had been serially raped.



SaharaReporters reported on February 16 that, according to the two girls, they were routinely raped by soldiers during months spent in a detention facility at Mogadishu Barracks, Asokoro.

The victims said they were arrested around the market in Obigba as they were returning home from work between 7pm and 7.30pm in November 2020 and were initially taken to a Nigerian army base in Obinze Barracks, Owerri, Imo State and then in Abuja.

The interrogation on Tuesday noted that his findings revealed that abducted Obigbo women had been forced to wear the same set of underwear for months, while the military also acted “unconstitutionally, inhumanely, hatefully and disgustingly by keeping victims without communication and access to their families from outside. , doctors and lawyers ”.

The Intersociety edition was signed by Emeka Umeagbalasi, Chinwe Umeche, Obianuju Igboeli and Chidimma Udegbunam.

The Civil Rights Group said, “Following our findings, including oral interviews with two released Obigbo girls and insider sources in the military and DSS (Department of Civil Service) dungeons, over 60 abducted Obigbo girls and young women wore one set of underwear – pants and bra – from October and November 2020 until today.

“In other words, the victims had to wear the same set of pants and fashion panties they wore when they were abducted by Nigerian army soldiers in October and November 2020 in different places in Obigba. That is more when the Nigerian army and the Ministry of Civil Services totally blocked access to the victims for their loved ones, including doctors, family and friends, and refused to make their abduction and captivity public.

“We also doubt whether the COVID-19 protocols were observed where they were kept for four months. In addition to serious suspicion of routine sexual harassment, women are most likely to be exposed to a number of health hazards, including sexually transmitted diseases and other health challenges, as well as mental and menstrual problems.

“The victims were released only after activists stressfully and painfully found their names and filed bail applications and successfully approved and handed them over to the military authorities, after which the military authorities took them out of various secret locations where they were being held. All of them are disgusting and unknown to sections 35 and 36 of the 1999 Nigerian Constitution, in particular subsection 4 of section 35 and subsections 8 and 12 of section 36. “

Source