AS Monaco midfielder Benoit Badiashile has confirmed access to his services from Manchester United last summer, but has confirmed that he has rightly turned down the Red Devils.
It was widely reported on the eve of the season that Old Trafford were looking for a potential new partner from behind for club captain Harry Maguire, although in the end they did not add a squad in that part of the field.
Although United have generally fared better than expected, finishing second in the Premier League, questions remain about the defense, which is in ninth place in terms of goals conceded this season, and as a unit has been plagued by mistakes.
Meanwhile, Badiashile is doing business with Monaco regularly this month, helping them reach fourth place in the Ligue 1 table, including a 2-0 win over reigning champions PSG on Sunday night – and says he has no regrets about refusing a transfer.
“It was the right choice. The first is that I have not enjoyed good seasons since I was in Monaco, ”he told RMC Sport.
“We played to stay awake, so now I really feel that I am at the top of the table and I think that the continuation of the club that coached me was the right decision and the season we have proves that.
“No. [regrets], not all. “
United’s first choice in the pair were Maguire and Victor Lindelof, although the Swedish defender sometimes had injury problems.
Eric Bailly is also a regular option, and Axel Tuanzebe is the fourth choice. Phil Jones was injured throughout the season, while Timothy Fosu-Mensah left in January and Marcos Rojo followed him from the door in early February.
Badiashile has advanced as part of the Under-21 France this season, and the 19-year-old has played more than 70 first-team games for Monaco so far.