Kaduna students spend two weeks in a kidnapper’s lair, parents panicking

The apprehension of the parents of the abducted students of the Federal School of Forestry Mechanization, Mando, Kaduna state, worsened on Wednesday as the abductees spent two weeks in the custody of the kidnappers.

PUNCH gathered that anxious parents have met some prominent Nigerians, so help them prevail over the governor of the state, Nasir El-Rufai, to intensify efforts to save the students.

One parent, who spoke to one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity, said they were bothered by the health of their children, some of whom sustained injuries when they were abducted on March 11th.

He said the parents had not heard anything from the government despite the 48-hour ultimatum they had given to rescue the students.

Parents protested on Monday and gave the state of Kaduna and the federal government 48 hours to save the students.

On Wednesday, parents’ fears worsened as students were not released nor were the government informed of the latest developments regarding the abductions.

“Our children barely dressed up when the robbers took them away. Some of them were injured when the troops tried to prevent the bandits from taking them away, ”said one of the parents.

Another parent said they were worried that the students had stayed with the bandits for too long. He reminded that none of the recently abducted students from other schools stayed with the kidnappers for that long.

He said that the abducted students of the Government College of Science, Kagar, Niger State, who were abducted on February 17, were released on February 27.

The parent added that 279 students of the government high school for girls in Yangeda, Zamfara state, were released on March 2 after the abduction on February 26.

“We are becoming increasingly anxious. We did not anticipate that the kidnappers would keep them that long. It has been almost two weeks since they were taken away. “Kagar and Yanggeda students were not detained until this happened,” he said.

One of the parents, who confided in The PUNCH, said that they had previously planned to continue the protest because of the expiration of the 48-hour ultimatum.

Speaking on behalf of the parents during a protest on Monday, Mr Friday Sani said, “At this press conference we demand that the government save our children in every way and within 48 hours so that the process of their rehabilitation can begin as long as they are in captivity, that situation will be worse. ”

However, talking to one of our correspondents, one parent said: “The plan after the 48-hour ultimatum given to both the federal and state governments was to continue the protest until the bandits let our children go.

“But after we met with some prominent citizens, we were advised to plan a protest for now, and those we have met so far, whom I do not want to name, have promised to meet with Governor Malam Nasir El-Rufai and talk to him on that point.

“We ask the competent authorities to take care of the misfortunes of our children. We should remember the conditions of these students when they were kidnapped by robbers. Almost everyone was naked when the bandits broke into the school. We want those in power to take our place. ”

But the state government remained silent on Wednesday over an ultimatum.

The State Commissioner for Internal Security and Internal Affairs, Mr. Samuel Aruwan, could not be reached by telephone.

Also, at the time of submitting this report, he has not yet responded to a text message sent to his phone.

Recall that on March 13, the bandits released a viral video in which students were seen crying and appealing to the government to pay the N500m demanded by the bandits as a ransom for their release.

The Ogun government is ordering increased security in schools

Meanwhile, Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun said on Wednesday that he had approved the hiring of security guards to boost security in all schools in the state.

Abiodun said this addressing the members of the Committee for Primary Education of the House of Representatives, led by its president prof. Julius Ihonvbere, who visited him as a sign of respect in Abeokuta, the capital of the state.

He said, “I have approved the employment of security guards in all our schools because we do not want to be reactive when it comes to security. We want to ensure that not only our children are safe, but also their teachers. “

He revealed that about 600 schools will be rehabilitated across the state to further provide a favorable environment for teaching and learning.

He added, “We are also in the process of awarding contracts to build 60,000 pieces of furniture so that our children can sit comfortably while they study.”

Earlier, the chairman of the board praised the state for paying its similar funds for 2018, 2019 and 2020 and its efforts to ensure a quality, functional and technological education policy.

Amotekun starts training in Ogun

In that regard, the state’s Amotekun Corps commander, retired police commissioner David Akinremi, said Wednesday that the government has begun training for recruits for safety clothing.

Akinremi, who responded to the text sent to him, said, “The training of the first series of our operatives is ongoing. The solemn inauguration of His Excellency (Dapo Abiodun) will be performed upon completion of our training. ”

However, he kept his mother when asked to state the duration of the troop training.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this site may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, transcribed or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior express written permission of PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Source