The latest line of Xbox consoles, the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, has been accompanied by new refinements in Xbox controllers. While remarkably similar to the Xbox One controller, there are some subtle differences with the Xbox Series X / S controller, the most obvious being the inclusion of a Share button for easy screenshots – something the PS4 introduced years earlier.
Although this new version of the Xbox controller was originally designed to provide a great experience on consoles, you can also transfer it to your computer if you’re so inclined. It’s relatively simple – but in this guide we’ll explain everything you need to know.
There are two different ways to connect an Xbox Series X / S controller to a computer. You can use a micro-USB cable or connect via Bluetooth. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.
Here’s how to use your Xbox Series X controller on your computer.
How to use the Xbox Series X controller on a computer via USB-Ca
Using a USB-C cable is the easiest way to play as it removes the fear of draining the battery while having fun. This still means that you will be tied to the length of the cable. To set up your controller on your computer for the first time, do the following:
- Connect a USB-C cable to your controller
- Connect the other end to a USB 3.0 or better port on the computer.
- Windows should install automatically correct driver. If this does not happen, make sure the latest version of Windows is installed.
- When ready, the Xbox button on the controller will whiten.
How to use Xbox Series X controller on PC via Bluetooth
Using a Bluetooth connection for the controller eliminates any worries that you will be tangled or tied with a cable. However, you will need to pay attention to the battery life.
- Turn it on your Xbox controller by holding down the Xbox button.
- Press Pairing button to start the Bluetooth pairing process.
- Press Start button on the computer.
- Then select Settings, then Devices, then Bluetooth and other devices.
- Turn it on Bluetooth.
- Select Add Bluetooth or another device.
- Select Xbox Wireless Controller.
If your computer does not support Bluetooth, you can add Bluetooth dongle support such as Techkey to connect via USB.
How to Update Xbox Series X Controller on PC
To make sure your controller stays up to date with the latest firmware and features available on your computer, you should download the Xbox Accessories app. It is an optional step, but one that ensures that you will always have the best possible experience.
How to use the Xbox Series X controller on Steam
In most cases, your Xbox controller should automatically work with the computer game if it is connected. As Xbox controllers are among the most popular controller choices that PC gamers can use, everything generally works automatically without any special settings.
If, on the other hand, you want to absolutely guarantee that everything works as intended, you can enable something called big picture mode. Here’s how.
- Open Steam.
- Make sure your controller is connected via USB-C or Bluetooth.
- Select Steam settings.
- Select Controller.
- Select General controller settings.
Steam should now show that you have connected a controller and will automatically select certain settings or ask you to configure the Xbox Series X controller. You can rename the keys however you want.
When you’re done, select Generic Gamepad Configuration Support and Xbox Configuration Support and you’ll be ready.