After months of anticipation, Star on Disney Plus has finally been unveiled … This new tile as part of Disney Plus streaming provides subscribers with access to thousands of hours of TV shows and movies from the entertainment giant’s broader creative studios. But with titles like The X-Files, available 24 and the new, serious police drama Big Sky, it’s clear that Disney + Star content isn’t your typical family-oriented Disney flavor.
Yes, there are new animated releases like Solar Opposites, as you would expect from Disney – but the fact that it comes from the pen of creator Rick and Morty Justin Roiland should tell you that this is not a family price.
We are very excited about the arrival of Star. But we also suspect that there are quite a few parents who have subscribed to Disney Plus and who woke up today feeling a little nervous because their children are accessing material that is not suitable for them. Disney is, as always, a few steps ahead, establishing a parental lock system on the Plus platform at the same time as the introduction of Star.
Here’s how you can enable these age-specific restrictions on the back end of Disney +.
How to set parental control on Disney +
One of the measures introduced by Disney is a system for accessing PIN subscriber profiles. This will prevent curious toddlers from trying to access Disney + through an adult-friendly profile.
- If you haven’t subscribed yet, sign up for Disney + and open it on your TV, tablet, phone, or other device.
- All subscribers, whether old or new, should find the fast announced arrival of Star (from February 23) on the platform, regardless of the device.
- If you want to view 18+ material on the Star page, click ‘Full Catalog’. If not, click “Not now”. You will need to confirm this with a password. If you select the latter, your account will automatically receive a rating over 14 years of age.
- You will now be given the option to create a four-digit profile PIN. (And for God’s sake, don’t use one of your children’s birthdays.)
How to set age ratings on Disney +
If you have multiple profiles used in your Disney + account, you can customize each one with a specific age rating. What if your family only has one account? Now is a good time to set up at least one more that is only for kids or adults.
- Open Disney +
- Tap the profile icon, then select ‘Edit Profiles’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select the profile with the age rating you want to customize.
- In the “Parental Controls” section, select “Content Rating” and enter your account password.
- You can now apply an age rating of 6+, 9+, 12+, 14+, 16+ or 18+ to your profile.
With this age rating, Disney’s library is set to automatically filter out any movies or shows that aren’t appropriate for that age category.
As you can see, with a robust PIN on your adult profile and a cleverly chosen age rating applied to each profile, Disney + remains child-friendly as always. Then, after you finally pack the kids to bed, you can finally settle in front of Die Hard.
You can now sign up for Disney + for £ 79.90 a year or £ 7.99 a month. To find out what’s available, read our lists of Disney + shows and Disney + movies.