Frank Q. Jackson, grandson of the mayor of Cleveland, in custody after confrontation with Parma police during a traffic stop, police chase

PARMA, Ohio – Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson’s grandson Frank Q. Jackson is in custody at Parma Jail on Sunday after an overnight police chase after a traffic stop in which a Parma police officer was pulled, according to police.

The incident began shortly after midnight on Sunday, when Frank Q. Jackson, 24, was stopped in Parma, said department spokesman Lieutenant Dan Ciryak. He was stopped because his windows were too dark.

During the parade, a Parma police officer asked Jackson to get out of the vehicle after Jackson had consented to the vehicle’s search, says a press release from the Parma police. Two Parma policemen were trying to get Jackson out of the vehicle when Jackson – still inside – stepped on the gas and started to flee.

One of the policemen was still holding Jackson and ran with the car before releasing the driver, the press release says. Initial reports that the officer was dragged were inaccurate, Ciryak said, and the officer was not seriously injured.

Parma police began chasing Jackson’s car on the highway after he left the traffic stop, Ciryak said. The chase on the highway, which reached speeds in excess of 160 km / h, ended when Jackson exited Interstate 90 west on Lorain Road, the statement said.

Jackson was the only person inside the vehicle at the time of the incident. He surrendered to the Parma police shortly before 3 am, the press release said, and remains in Parma prison.

Parma police intend to provide a video of the incident as soon as the “routine drafting process” occurs, said Ciryak. The video will not be released on Sunday.

Jackson was charged last week with first-degree domestic violence contravention in Cleveland Municipal Court in a domestic dispute involving him and his son’s mother, according to court records.

A warrant issued on Wednesday says that Frank Q. Jackson “intentionally caused or attempted to cause physical harm to his son’s mother”. He is accused of hitting his son’s mother several times on the head, “making her fall on the sofa and fall to the floor”, the warrant states.

Frank Q. Jackson’s legal problems go even further than his recent disagreements with the authorities. In January 2020, he was sentenced to 90 days in prison and 18 months of probation after pleading guilty to assault in a case where an 18-year-old woman reported that he punched and kicked her before hitting her with a hitch. by metal truck in June 2019. He served eight days as a judge with an 82-day suspension of his prison sentence.

The mayor’s office released a statement on January 5 saying that an outside agency would take care of his grandson’s latest conflict with the law.


Elyria man killed in car crash in Lorain, police say

Cleveland man dies after suffering fatal gunshot wound to his chest

Judge hands prison sentence to former Bedford high school teacher who sexually abused two students