Written by Ikechukwu Nnochiri – ABUJA
The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, told the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday that former Aviation Minister Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode received ND 26 million from the National Security Adviser’s office, NSA, without executing any contract.
The anti-graft agency told the court that the money was sent to the former minister in a “Gani-must-go” (bag), through his driver identified as Francis and his personal assistant named Victor.
The commission uncovered the discovery through one of its operatives who testified as a third witness, PW-3, in a five-time money laundering charge she filed against Fani-Kayoda.
Fani-Kayode was director of media and publicity on former President Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 election team.
The EFCC claimed that his former national security adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd), had illegally released N26 million to him, ahead of the 2015 general election, to step up a media campaign for former President Jonathan.
READ ALSO: Nigeria and the United States will lead the global coalition against ISIS – ONSA
At the resumed proceedings on Tuesday, PW-3, Mr. Mohammed Goji said the EFCC found N26 million former ministers during an investigation into contracts contracted by the Office of National Security Advisers, ONSA, led by Dasuki.
While he was led as evidence by the defense counsel Mr. Faruk Abdullahi, a witness, said: “My lord, we have received an intelligence report on a certain amount of billions of naira money earmarked for contracts in the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA.
“Accordingly, we discovered that N26 million was paid for media counseling for which it was not recorded that the project was carried out.
“We wrote a series of letters to the NSA Office, where we received payment vouchers and proposals stating that the stated amount had been paid.
“During the investigation, we gathered that the accused instructed his domestic servants, who consisted of his driver named Francis and his personal assistant named Victor, to access the NSA funds.
“They took the cash in the Ghana-Must-Go bag from the NSA account department and took it to the defendant’s residence as instructed.”
The witness further revealed that the search warrant was executed at the defendant’s residence on May 10, 2016, after which he was summoned to the EFCC office for an interview.
He said that the accused voluntarily gave his statements on May 11 and 12, 2016.
Meanwhile, Prosecutor Abdullah, after testifying as a witness, admitted into evidence evidence consisting of a search warrant and three statements given by the accused while in EFCC custody.
The chief judge of the court, Judge John Tsoho, who presides over the case, adjourned the proceedings until April 21 to continue the trial.
It will be recalled that on November 11, 2016, the court granted the former minister bail of N50 million with one bail in the same amount, after spending about a month in EFCC custody.
Vanguard News Nigeria