Weight Loss Diet: Know What You Should Eat To Lose Weight By Your Blood Type | Photo: iStock Images
- Weight loss is a long and arduous process that requires a healthy balanced diet and regular exercise
- Blood type can make you more or less susceptible to certain diseases and infections, research has shown
- Can your blood type also affect weight loss? Find out.
New Delhi: Losing weight is a long and tedious process that requires taking into account all the factors that include your health. Although diet and exercise are the two most important factors for weight loss, factors like lifestyle, in which you work well, how well you sleep, can also affect your weight loss efforts. Existing health conditions can also affect how many pounds you gain or lose, and so can your blood type.
Many people believe that diet depending on your blood type can play a crucial role in weight loss. Research has shown that different blood groups are more or less susceptible to different diseases and conditions. This, in turn, can affect your weight loss journey.
The role of blood type in weight loss that is not supported by research
According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, there is no evidence to suggest that different diets work better for people of one blood type than another. Another study published in PLOS found that people who followed a certain diet saw improvements in their health, but those benefits did not depend on blood type.
Several studies, conducted over time, have not found any specific link between blood type and the effects of weight loss diets.
What should you eat to lose weight, according to your blood type?
Although research has found no evidence to support this claim, some people still believe that because blood type is associated with disease and the risk of some, they must eat a diet according to their blood type. If you want to lose weight according to your blood type, here’s what you need to eat.
- Blood type A – According to information on the Blood Type Diet web portal, people with type A blood should stick to a vegetarian diet and try to include clean, fresh and organic foods in their diet.
- Blood type B – People with type B blood are advised to eat a diet rich in green vegetables, fruits, dairy products, eggs, and certain meats, including goat and lamb. People from this blood group should avoid corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts, sesame seeds and chicken.
- Blood type O – People with type O blood are encouraged to eat foods high in protein, focusing on eating meat, vegetables, fruits, and fish, but should limit grains, beans, and legumes.
- Blood type AB – People with type AB blood are advised to consume tofu, dairy products, leafy vegetables and seafood; and caffeine, alcohol, and any smoked or dried meat should be avoided.
The bottom line
A healthy diet that contains the right amounts for all ages and regular exercise are key to losing weight. People who want to lose weight should avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, fried and refined foods. Although the above foods are healthy, a restrictive diet is not recommended for healthy weight loss and should be followed only in consultation with professional nutritionists.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting any fitness program or any dietary changes.